Thursday, October 20, 2011

Working with video games

As of this week, I am officially employed in the gaming industry. I am a game tester working on EA titles. This is a fairly common job in Baton Rouge nowadays, being that the North American Testing Center employs hundreds of people. We are one of a handful locations that do this kind of testing in North America, and what we do helps games to get made.


I grew up playing games. I remember my sisters and I excitedly opening a Sega Genesis on Christmas morning, I remember saving my allowance for a whole year to buy an N64, I remember playing all throughout summer vacations and how I've enjoyed the hobby for the better part of my life. Now I have the chance to contribute to the cause. While I know I won't be designing games or anything close to it, what I do furthers the cause.

Most of my days will be spend undergoing tedious tasks in a game and trying to glitch it. This isn't playing a game for fun, it's clearly work. In fact, this is what my English degree trained me for, in a way. When you're editing a book, you're looking it over with a critical eye, and it's very different than reading for enjoyment.

Now, I don't think this is going to give me a ticket into the gaming biz, but what it does give me is a more complete understanding of games and how they work on a technical level. I can appreciate another level of how much work goes into making these marvels. It makes me appreciate those moments I remember so fondly, the times all the elements come together to make a truly great gaming experience, even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment