Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pacing yourself

It's getting to be that magical time of year once again, folks. The time when the air grows cooler, when families gather together, and when everyone you meet seems to have a spring in their step. That's right, the winter gaming season has begun.


Last month's release of Borderlands 2 has opened the floodgates, and a slew of highly anticipated and (hopefully) high quality games are due to be released between now and the end of the year. This month alone brings us Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Resident Evil 6, and Assassin's Creed III, to name a few.


At times like these, it's important for a gamer to watch his/her wallet and keep it from getting too light. While our favorite hobby may be tantalizing, now is not the time to go overboard. Personally, while the influx of new games does excite me, I'm still working my way through the games I already own. It's not a huge pile, but I'm taking my time, even playing through a couple of them more than once. They're still enjoyable, so why not?

I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating. If a game is still providing entertainment, then it's still doing it's job. With some games, you get a much deeper experience out of extended playtime. Games with choices are the main examples. Superficial character customization, multiple endings and RPG-style character progression choices all offer new ways to play for long-term players.

There is also downloadable content to consider. Depending on the game, DLC can offer hours of new content, so you can stretch your game further for a few bucks.

Case in point: the Mad Moxxi expansion for the first Borderlands kept players going for weeks
I'm not belittling shorter games, which can certainly be fun (and worth replaying), but sometimes I just want a deep dive for my money. I might get to this year's newcomers a little late, but hey, I'm still giving last year's their due.

No comments:

Post a Comment