Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Homeward bound

Before long, my lovely wife Victoria and I will be gathering the belongings we still have in the U.K. and boarding a series of very long flights that will eventually land us home in the U.S. We originally left the U.S. on August 31st, and that's the same day we'll be heading back.  It's been one of the most unique years I've ever experienced, and while I've grown homesick, I wouldn't trade it.


I've learned a lot here, I've had experiences I couldn't find anywhere else. I've met people I'll always remember seen places I've always wanted to see. I've stood in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City and walked the Parthenon in Athens, I've been to the beaches of Spain and seen snow-covered Ireland, I've been on ICE trains in Germany and hydrofoil boats in Greece, I've been on more flights in the last year than the rest of my life combined - not bad for 365 days.

Those same 365 days were the bigger part of my first year of marriage, and hasn't that been a learning experience in the best way. My wife and I have weathered quite a lot, and we've grown even closer because of it.

This has truly been a year to remember. I'm grateful to have had it, and I won't soon forget it. Thanks for a great ride, Europe. We'll meet again.

Cheers,

Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment