Thursday, March 24, 2011

Anarchy in the UK

When I was gearing up to move to Scotland, I mentally prepared myself for the frankly horrendous exchange rate between dollars and pounds, I knew I would be taking the bus or walking more, and I knew the slang would change, and I knew I'd see the occasional guy in a kilt. I can tell you one thing, though: I never saw the punks coming. 

By "punks" I don't mean skinheads or gang members or any of that. I mean full-on Sex Pistols and The Clash punks.


Punk is alive and well here; it's like the '80s never left. What's more, nobody seems to care. If it's ingrained enough here, people have gotten used to it. Back home, somebody dressed like this:



would probably get some strange looks. Here, no one bats an eye. I think it's fantastic! The closer the world gets to letting someone look and act however they want, the better off we'll all be. 

Hair dye in particular is really popular here, even outside of punk population. I've see several women who had to be 50-65 that have fire-engine red hair. There are young guys in business suits whose locks are a bright shade of green. These guys are totally accepted in a business environment, and their hair doesn't bother anyone. Like I said, fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. Or maybe the unnatural hair colors AREN'T acceptable in a business environment and they were just wearing business suits for the irony of it...or maybe they're in a Punk-Beach Boys cover band. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or maybe your a repressed american

    ReplyDelete